How Important Is Project Management For Startup Companies?
What do you think about this – How important is project management for startup companies? Is project management required only by big- organizations?
Well, I am of the opinion that every organization, no matter its size, needs a project manager. When I say that small organizations also need project managers, I realize that small organizations or start-ups cannot always manage to hire a skilled project manager.
But there is no need for you to hire a professional project manager for your small organization/startup. Especially when you think that you can’t afford to have a skilled project manager. The solution to this problem is that “Be a project manager by yourself”.
How You Can Do Project Management For Startup Companies?
What do you think about being a project manager or doing project management by yourself?
All of us in our daily lives perform some kind of managerial tasks which we don’t even notice. They come naturally to us.
From something as simple as taking responsibility for a function such as a small gets together to staging large scale performances in schools or colleges, we exhibit managing skills without giving it a second thought. The tasks that you might perform in such functions might be:-
- Decoration arrangement, which includes deciding the theme, booking decorator, giving proper instruction as per the theme, while maintaining your budget.
- Preparing a guest list of all the guests who are coming from local areas or outside the city. Calling your guest and to take confirmations whether they are coming so as to make suitable arrangements.
- Deciding menu items, food arrangement, and catering services.
- Deciding gifts (if any) for the guests, purchasing & packaging those gifts.
- Making lodging arrangements for guests who might be coming out of town.
- Prepare a list of all the small and big tasks so as to not forget any task undone.
- Giving responsibilities of different tasks to suitable people who can manage them.
- Paying bills and keeping the invoice for future reference.
This example explains to you how in your life you become a project manager without having any certification, degree or course. There is an inbuilt manager which exists in all of us.
What Is A Project Manager And What Is Project Management?
A project manager is someone who manages and successfully completes the project within a specified budget. He/she uses his/her knowledge and skills to complete the project without any disturbances and if any risk or issue occurs then tackle that with intelligence without interrupting other things.
Project management involves all the tools and techniques that are involved in the project. Management is taking care of all the tasks and related issues on time to avoid any delays and complete the project in a pre-defined budget.
Many of us think that only large scale organizations need project management to handle their sizable projects. But that’s not true. Whether the organization is a large or small organization needs project management.
Your project will become more successful if you do it with modern project management techniques.
Do Small Businesses Need Different Project Management?
According to me, that is not the case. Project management doesn’t change for small or large scale businesses. Only the scale of the project differs, the need for project management remains the same.
Like I said before, there is a project manager in all of us. You too can handle projects with ease. All you need is to gain suitable and substantial information. You need to develop your knowledge base according to your needs. This knowledge needs to be practically implemented to gain experience and learn as you go.
Implement Project Management In Your Small Business
Implement project management skills in your daily schedule and you will see remarkable changes in your management skills and plans for your projects.
- Define your objective as per your business plan.
- Identify your audience.
- Describe your product and services in a way that it can easily be understood.
- Make a proper schedule as per your objective with defined deadlines.
- List all the tasks that have to be done.
- Assign tasks to the team members.
- Track the completion of the tasks.
- Identify any risks or issues that might occur during the project and if there are any keep a risk management plan ready.
- Always keep track of your objective. Do not get distracted and always keep an eye on the bigger picture.
Implementing project management in your business will help you to look after your business activities in an easy way. Project Management enables you to streamline and develop your plan in a systematic way. This would prove to be beneficial as it makes it easier to track your business development and its progress. This would also help save time and complete tasks within the assigned deadlines.
If you follow good project management practices in your business you will be able to clearly see the changes in your organization by yourself.